Approximately 4,700 children ages 14 and younger are injured from falling out a window each year. About 18 children ages 10 and under die annually from these falls.
Here are some tips on preventing these types of accidents:
- A screen will not prevent a fall- don’t think it will.
- Install windows that open from the top. If you need to open the window for fresh air, use the top window.
- Safeguard your windows with window stops. You can find window stops at any hardware department.
- Make sure that there is not any furniture placed near the window. Often children will climb the furniture and fall out the window.
- Supervise your children if there is an open window.